Losing a loved one is difficult. In addition to the flood of emotions accompanying such an event, the death of a family member often results in severe financial hardship to surviving relatives. Medical costs, funeral expenses, and the loss of income are just a few of how the death of a relative can affect a family. However, if a loved one’s death was caused by negligent or wrongful behavior, then a wrongful death lawsuit may help alleviate some of these costs. Also, the ability to hold responsible parties accountable for their negligent actions helps families find closure and move on with their lives following a tragic event.
Reasons to file a wrongful death claim
If you’ve recently lost a loved one due to negligent behavior, please review the information below and contact our Florida wrongful death attorneys as soon as possible for a consultation.
- Auto accidents – Automobile accidents are a leading cause of death in Florida. And unfortunately, many of these crashes are caused by the negligent actions of other drivers.
- Bike and pedestrian accidents – Florida has one of the highest bicyclist fatality rates in the United States. When bicyclists and pedestrians are struck and killed, negligent drivers are often to blame.
- Product liability – Product manufacturers are required by law to ensure that the products they sell are safe. Unfortunately, however, companies frequently release products with design and manufacturing flaws, putting consumers at risk. When a customer is killed due to an unsafe product, surviving family members may file a wrongful death claim.
- Slip-and-fall accidents – Slip-and-fall accidents are common, and some even result in death. When a slip-and-fall accident is caused by the negligent behavior of a property’s owner or manager, a wrongful death claim can provide compensation to the victim’s family.
- Medical malpractice – Medical professionals are supposed to provide us with competent health care. Doctors and others in the medical field, however, often make mistakes. And when this happens, the results can be deadly. In addition to mistakes made while performing medical procedures, medical professionals often make mistakes regarding medications, including dosing errors, errors regarding the choice of medication, failure to identify adverse interactions between medications, and failure to inform patients of the risks associated with certain medications.
Contact Our Experienced Florida Wrongful Death Attorneys
At Staples Ellis, we understand the pain that the loss of a loved one can cause. And although nothing can completely compensate you for such a loss, you may be entitled to monetary damages to help you through this difficult period. At Staples Ellis, we are committed to helping the surviving family members of the victims of negligence find justice while holding responsible parties accountable. Our Florida wrongful death attorneys are here to offer you the experience, knowledge, and personal concern that you deserve. Please contact our office today to arrange a consultation.
Posted in: Wrongful Death